THE HOTEL ELLA STORY

About Hotel Ella

Hotel Ella offers guests a truly world-class travel experience minutes away from all things Austin. Inhabiting the Goodall Wooten mansion, one of Austin’s original landmark estates, the refined property will reopen late summer 2013 following a multi-million dollar renovation. It will feature 48 impressive guestrooms (inclusive of 10 luxury suites), a cabana-lined lap pool and wrap-around veranda overlooking an expansive front lawn. Beautifully designed indoor and outdoor spaces and stately meeting rooms will provide ideal backdrops for events, weddings and corporate gatherings. Guests will enjoy exceptional dining along with a superior level of personalized service wrapped in the relaxed hospitality for which Austin is known. Hotel Ella is part of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World™ collection and is located at 1900 Rio Grande Street, Austin, Texas, 78705.

The origins of the Austin, Texas, hotel can be traced back to 1846 when the land was first granted to Adam Maag by the State of Texas, just one year after it was admitted to the union. Read the full story here.

  • Historic Photography of Hotel Ella
  • Historic Hotel Austin, TX Hotel Ella
  • Austin History Hotel Ella
  • Hotel Ella National Register of Historic Places

Historical Timeline

  • 1845 On December 29th, Texas becomes the 28th state admitted to the Union.
  • 1872 A statewide election permanently establishes Austin as the state capital.
  • 1878 Dr. Thomas Dudley Wooten purchases one acre of land at the corner of Magnolia and San Bernard Streets at a cost of $2,500.
  • 1895 Goodall Wooten graduates from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University in New York and enters into the practice of medicine with his father and brother.
  • 1897 Goodall marries Miss Ella Newsome.
  • 1898 The newly-weds become parents with the birth of their only daughter Lucie.
  • 1900 The family of three moves into their new home.
  • 1906 Ella gives birth to their second child Tom.
  • 1910 Major renovations change the simple house into a grand mansion.
  • 1925 Ella hires Neiman Marcus to redecorate the interior of the home at a cost of $10,000, today’s estimate of one million dollars.
  • 1927 Suffering from epilepsy, Tom Wooten dies at the young age of 20.
  • 1942 Goodall Wooten dies.
  • 1944 Ella sells the house to Mr. Fred Adams who converts the mansion into student housing.
  • 1953 Christian Life & Faith Community acquires the mansion and continues to operate the house as a student residency hall.
  • 1975 The Goodall Wooten House is placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 3rd.
  • 1979 The house is purchased by DeLois Faulkner in hopes of turning it into a treatment center for alcoholism and drug abuse in her father’s name.
  • 1980 The need for more dormitories and a larger cafeteria result in the construction of the North Wing.
  • 1983 Mrs. Faulkner’s dream comes true with the opening of the Chemical Dependency Treatment Center of Austin.
  • 2000 The treatment center outgrows the property & moves its headquarters to another location in Austin.
  • 2001 Austin real estate developer Bill Gurasich purchases the property.
  • 2002 The Goodall Wooten House is renovated and restored while being transformed into a hotel.
  • 2003 Mansion at Judges’ Hill opens its doors to the citizens and visitors of Austin.
  • 2012 Rio Grande ATX Investments purchases Mansion at Judges’ Hill
  • 2013 The property is updated and debuts as Hotel Ella, in honor of original owner Ella Wooten.
MAT_6699_colorized.jpg